Are you drinking alcohol daily and are your family members regularly ask you to stop drinking? Are there fights in your house daily because of your drinking habit? Have you ever wondered why everyone is against your drinking habit? Have you ever thought about the bad effects that alcohol on your body? If not, this article will help you understand the dangerous effects of alcohol and then you can decide for yourself whether you wish to continue drinking..
Prolonged alcohol consumption and excess consumption affects your body in many ways. Alcohol abuse not only harms you, but will also damage your personal relationships. Alcohol injures your entire body; it affects several systems thus producing several detrimental symptoms.
Below mentioned are a few dangerous effects that Alcohol has on you.
Central Nervous System
- Slurred speech
- Blurred vision
- Inability to walk
- Inability to think, learn and remember clearly
- Permanent brain damage leading to dementia (loss of memory)
- Pain, numbness, or abnormal sensations in your feet and hands
- Involuntary rapid eye movements or paralysis of the eye muscles.
- Chronic pancreatitis (inflammation of pancreas)
- Alcoholic hepatitis (inflammation of liver) which may lead to the development of jaundice
- Chronic liver inflammation leading to cirrhosis
- Increased risk of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Increases your risk of liver cancer.
- Damage to your salivary glands and irritation of your mouth and tongue can also lead to gum disease and tooth decay. Ulcers in the esophagus and heartburn
- Stomach ulcers and inflammation of the stomach lining (gastritis)
- High risk of mouth, throat, and esophagus cancers.
- Irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia).
- High blood pressure.
- Heart attack.
- Heart failure.
Sexual and Reproductive HealthErectile dysfunction
- Hindrance to hormone production, affects testicular function
- Lowered sexual drive.
- Skeletal and Muscle Systems
Action of alcohol on skeletal system causes:
- Increased risk of osteoporosis (thinning of bones) and bone fractures
- Muscles prone to weakness, cramps, and even atrophy.
Alcohol weakens the immune system, thus making your body easily prone to virus, germs, and various kinds of illness. Chronic alcohol drinkers are at an increased risk of contracting pneumonia or tuberculosis and various forms of cancer.
Apart from the above mentioned symptoms, alcohol consumption produces many more symptoms and injures the body in many more ways. Mentioned above are just a few detrimental effects of alcohol.
Drinking in Moderation is not bad for your Health. However excessive drinking is extremely bad for health. After been aware of all these destructive effects of alcohol on your body, do you still think of your family opposing your drinking habit as illogical? Do you still think that you should continue harming your body by continuing your habit of drinking? Is it appropriate to injury your body? Do give a thought to these questions…..