The dictionary definition of ‘Phobia’ is ‘an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something’. It is a persistent, abnormal, or irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid it despite being aware and reassured that it is not dangerous. There are many common phobias like fear of spiders (arachnophobia), fear of snakes (Ophidiophobia), fear if heights (Acrophobia), etc. but there are other weird phobias too that you did not know existed.
1. Venustraphobia: This is the fear of beautiful women, and may be caused by low self-confidence or putting too much pressure on appearances. When you are scared to talk to beautiful women then you probably have this phobia
2. Nomophobia: This is a modern phobia that affects people who are very afraid of losing phone access. It is an intense and irrational fear that a person goes through when they “lose their mobile phone, run out of battery or credit, or have no network coverage”
3. Sociophobia: Those who fear being judged by society suffer from this disorder. It is an anxiety disorder in which a person has an intense and unreasonable fear of being in social situations and arise from a fear of being closely watched, judged, and criticized by others
4. Gamophobia: It’s not just an excuse: some people actually have a valid fear of getting married. Pronounced as ‘Ga-Me-PHO-bia’, from the Greek ‘gamo’ meaning ‘marriage’) is the fear of getting married, being in a relationship, or commitment.
5. Selfiephobia – Needs no explanation. This is a fear of taking selfies or fear of being in a Group selfie. I bet this is a very very rare phobia.
6. Ablutophobia: It is the constant, abnormal and unnecessary fear of bathing, washing, or cleaning up. This phobia is a situational specific phobia. Sounds like engineering students who live in hostels.
7. Spectrophobia: People who have a morbid fear of Mirrors suffer from this phobia. People with this phobia fear the breaking of a mirror will bring extreme bad luck. They can fear the thought of something frightening jumping out of the mirror or seeing something disturbing inside of it next to their own reflection when looking directly at it.
8. Medomalacuphobia – This phobia certainly affects all men for sure (well almost) as it is the fear of losing an erection. Yes, yes we can see you nodding your head in agreement. Rest assured you are not alone.