Do you suffer from diabetes and are you bored of taking medicines? Are you looking out for food alternatives to control your blood sugar? Do you want some information regarding such food substances? Then read this article and you shall certainly find some useful food alternatives that shall help you in controlling your blood sugar.
Below mentioned are few food items that can help you tackle diabetes effectively:
1. Jamun – To reduce blood sugar level, you can eat 100 grams of jamun per day, which can be very beneficial in controlling the blood glucose levels
2. LadyFinger (Bhindi) – Ladyfinger helps in slowing down the absorption of glucose from the intestine. You must slit 2-3 ladyfingers in the centre and soak it in a glass of water overnight and then, drink the water the next day, on an empty stomach. After a month, you shall notice a marked reduction in the blood glucose level.
3. Fenugreek (Methi) – Fenugreek seeds possess sugar-reducing properties. You can make a curry of the leaves of this plant and consume it regularly. When, taken in regular intervals, fenugreek aids in lowering insulin dependency. Soak a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a glass of water overnight and then drink the water along with the seeds, on empty stomach. You must avoid taking any foods or medications for approximately the next 30 minutes after drinking the water. Continue this for 2 – 3 times per week.
4. Apples – Apple is rich in fibre content and reduces blood sugar. You must eat them unpeeled. Apple peel contains quercetin, a flavanoid which reduces blood sugar because of its antioxidant effect.
5. Bitter Gourd (Karela) – You can take bitter gourd in the form of juice, or cook it or fry it or even ground the seeds and take it. The juice should be taken on an empty stomach, early morning. Bitter gourd contains insulin like properties which aids in reducing the blood and urine sugar levels. You should be careful when taking bitter gourd as it can lead to low blood sugar levels.
6. Fig Leaves – Figs leaves are considered to have anti-diabetic properties which aids in lowering the blood sugar levels. You can either chew the fig leaves on an empty stomach, or boil the leaves in water and drink the water. Regularly consuming this can reduce your requirement for insulin.
7. Cinnamon- Cinnamon is effective in reducing the blood glucose levels. You must consume half spoon of cinnamon powder daily to get the required effect. You can either chew it in its natural form or make a powder of it.
8. Olive Oil –You must cook all your food with edible olive oil to help lower the blood sugar levels.
9. Vinegar – To lower your blood sugar levels, take two tablespoons of vinegar before a meal.
10. Citrus fruits – Citrus fruits are a rich content of vitamin C. Fiber present in the citrus fruits slows the absorption of sugar. Some of the sources of citrus fruits are grapefruit, orange, etc.
Diabetes is a disease which is widespread and many people are affected by this dreaded disease. Adopting the above mentioned food substances in your diet can help you control your blood sugar levels.