You are watching a nail-biting cricket match that is about to finish, and you hear the beep of a text message on your mobile phone. You pick the phone and look at the message casually. However, you get disturbed by it so much that even the thrilling victory of Indian cricket team doesn’t excite you. The text message says that your friend’s wife is missing from home since morning. You call him frantically and get amazed to know that she was going through severe depression from last few months due to prolonged illness.
Thankfully she comes back safely two days later, leaving few questions unanswered. How can a person take such a dangerous and illogical step? Does depression takes away the ability to think logically? Does it impact decision power?
Is it possible to identify the signs of depression at an early stage? Yes, it is! Here are five common signs that shouldn’t be ignored.
- The feeling of worthlessness: Researchers say that the feeling of worthlessness is the top most indication. When a person feels that there is no significance of his presence or absence in the world, it means he or she is going through deep depression. There can be serious implications of it. If a person doesn’t come out from the sense of being worthless, he or she may attempt suicide also. Hence, it is critically important to consult experts.
- Lack of interest: When you lose interest in everything that was quite exciting earlier, don’t ignore it. When you don’t feel like watching the favorite movie or don’t order the favorite pizza after a traumatic incidence; it indicates that there is something wrong. According to experts, lack of interest is common after traumatic incidences like prolonged illness, death of a close relative, or a loss of job. If the mental state persists for a long time, then it needs medical intervention. Near and dear ones need to observe it closely.
- Lack of sleep and difficulty in concentrating: Do you have sleepless nights without any apparent physiological problem? Insomnia or sleeping disorder eventually leads to difficulty in concentration. There are variations of sleeping disorders. If you wake up in the early hours and then can’t sleep, then it is the time to meet the doctor. Chronic Insomnia causes various physical and psychosomatic disorders that increase the depression further.
- Weight loss: When you skip meals without any reason or lose interest in eating after a distressful event; it is a sign of depression that needs immediate intervention
- Avoiding social interaction: Depressed people don’t like to interact with others in the real world. They become inactive in social media as well. If you don’t feel like interacting with others on social media, avoid meeting family & friends or keep the phone on silent mode all the time, then it is a sign of depression
Traumatic condition leave long-lasting impacts and the person goes into a state of depression. It isn’t an irrecoverable problem provided you consult a doctor and get proper treatment. Anti-depressant drugs, counseling, meditation and breathing techniques greatly help.